Domain Name and Redirect (Alias) Requests
What is a domain name?
A domain name is any name registered in the Domain Name System (DNS). Domain names or "hostnames" at UC San Diego are managed by the Hostmaster. When you request a new CMS site, you can specify the domain or site name (as long as it available). You don't need to contact the Hostmaster. CWS will take care of that for you.
- Example of a CMS site hostname: http://commons.ucsd.edu/
What if I want an additional domain name or alias for my website?
An alias (sometimes called a "vanity URL") is an additonal domain name that points to a specific page on your website. If you want an alias set up, fill out this form and we will work with the webserver team and the Hostmaster to make the change. If you want to know if an alias is available, just trying typing it into your browser. If it doesn't lead to an existing site, there's a good chance it is available but we'll still have to check. Note: We need 2 days lead time for this request.
- Example of a domain name "alias" (also referred to as a redirect or a CNAME): http://colleges.ucsd.edu/ points to http://provost.ucsd.edu/colleges/
My department just changed names, can I add change or add another domain name for my entire site?
If you want to change or add another domain name for the entire site (not just a single page) we call that a hostname redirect. To set that up, fill out this form and we will work with the webserver team and the Hostmaster. Note: We need 2 days lead time for this request.
Can I get a redirect or "friendly link" for a page on my website?
If you want a redirect to a page on your site (also called a "friendly link"), you can do this via an .htaccess file. This is helpful if you want to publish or share a shorter link:
- Redirect /go/enroll-checklist-grad http://students.ucsd.edu/academics/enroll/graduate-enrollment/checklist.html
- Redirect /go/odapa http://blink.ucsd.edu/sponsor/odapa/
- Redirect /grad http://marshall.ucsd.edu/academics/graduation
Or if you just moved or renamed a critical page that users might have bookmarked or other sites are linking to:
- Redirect /student-life/_organizations/student-conduct/ http://students.ucsd.edu/sponsor/student-conduct/
- Redirect /academics/enroll/graduate-enrollment/enrollment-checklist.html http://students.ucsd.edu/academics/enroll/graduate-enrollment/checklist.html
Note: An .htaccess file is a very powerful tool. You can render your site un-accessible with a bad entry. We recommend that you only attempt redirects if you are an advanced user. Ask CWS for help setting one up.